Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Throw My Shoe at George W. Bush



Ready to throw? Throw your shoe for the world to see and link back HERE.

It's a nasty thing.

I bought these boots back in '97 when I was a teenager, loving purple, and needing to keep my feet warm. This shoe weighs like a brick and actually fatigues my calf muscles when I wear them for prolonged periods of time. This boot is stained with salt from shoveling sidewalks and driveways. It holds the sweat and dead skin of my feet working for twelve years. It's purple, my signature color.

I throw this shoe for the people terrorized by the anti-terrorist laws that George W. Bush thrust upon the world in defense of 9/11. I throw this shoe for the innocent communities who have been terrorized by our wars and the man who screamed in my face that he was not a terrorist just because he was poor and asking for the right to live in peace.

It is my hope that the salt on this shoe stings the tongue of George W. Bush as a reminder of the dry assault we have inflicted on the people of other countries around the world. It is my hope that the smell of dried sweat haunts the rest of his days with the reminder of those who died for no reason other than being targeted by their government as an organizing community who demand basic human rights. It is my hope that the weight of this shoe is nothing compared to the weight on his shoulders or in his heart with the knowledge that the world, for eight years, simply suffered under his leadership and led a country of horrible debt and challenging policies into an unthinkable state of crisis in every sense of the word.

It is my hope that Muntadhar al-Zeidi, the brave shoe thrower, will return safely to his family and his life is blessed with witnessing the peace his country longs for and so rightly deserves.

It is my hope that when I throw my shoe, it is large enough to wack Dick Cheney as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there,
Before you leave a comment, just remember two things:
1. You are taking responsibility for a public comment
2. Anything that resembles racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, or anything based from religion, citizenship, or ethnic bias - don't bother commenting, you'll be deleted.