Thursday, July 05, 2007

Women of Color Blogging Issues

This article from Reappropriate tackles some of the most pressing issues for women of color bloggers who have been run off their own blogs with threats and silencing.

I can't say that I've encountered as much hate as some other bloggers, but I can only imagine the level of intimidation and hostility they have encountered.

The online and offline world are connected, whether you want to believe it or not. Human behavior translates onto the screen and affects the blogger similarly to offline encounters of racism, sexism, and homophobia. The only difference is that commenters get to "anonymously" threat and attempt to silence WOC. Cowards.

And similar to how I will not be silenced in the "real world" offline, I will not be silenced in my own space, my blog that I have created. "Sudy" is not untouchable or immune to the verbal hurts, but she is most certainly fierce and resilient. So, let this be my declaration of buoyancy. I may take breaks, I may sometimes need to regroup, but I will not be silenced, so don't bother leaving threatening comments at my door. You are not welcome here, trollers. I am in solidarity with women who have been silenced by rape and violence, and I am in solidarity with women who have been silenced by stalking, threats, and initimidation.

So, listen up trollers:
I cannot and will not be bullied on my own blog, so take your mouth foam elsewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Thanks for this post, and the one you linked to. Both are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know I heard your rallying cry on Jenn's blog and so then went and created my own blog. Sudy 1, Trolls 0. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I loved this part:

    "So, let this be my declaration of buoyancy. I may take breaks, I may sometimes need to regroup, but I will not be silenced, so don't bother leaving threatening comments at my door. You are not welcome here, trollers. I am in solidarity with women who have been silenced by rape and violence, and I am in solidarity with women who have been silenced by stalking, threats, and initimidation."

    Buoyancy... such a fabulous word used in this context...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:53 AM

    this is a great post and I hope many take up your call.

    I would however note that at least two of the bloggers in reappropriate's post/comments left their blogs b/c of physical harassment in the real world not their blog harassment.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Before you leave a comment, just remember two things:
1. You are taking responsibility for a public comment
2. Anything that resembles racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, or anything based from religion, citizenship, or ethnic bias - don't bother commenting, you'll be deleted.