Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Body Image, Beauty, and Bull

Thanks to BFP for bringing up this issue. As a Filipina, I gotta post this topic on my blog as well.

Are Eyelids the Number One Beauty Concern in the Asian-American Community?


AND THIS FOLLOWING POST RANKS IN THE TOP FIVE OF ALL TIME GREATEST POSTS EVERRRRRR ABOUT THIS SUBJECT:

Almond Eyes from Claire Light


I've commented on BFP's and Racialicious' site about this. The only times I've ever thought about my eyes was when I was made fun of for having "chinky" eyes. I would look hard in the mirror and compared them to my White friends. I was utterly confused because my eyes looked pretty much the same, I thought. I think it was the fact that I was Asian with straight black hair that gave me away. My eyes are lidded, brown, and wide open. I have no idea why some folks would insist I have a physical characteristic that I actually do not have.

Filipinos, in my humble opinion, are loud, brown, and love to party. Weight and body image are issues, especially because other Asian races are so damn small. Skin color is huge. I can be as fair as beige in December and in August be as dark as some African American friends. Some of the most racist comments toward Filipinos have been because of our brown skin, calling us the "Niggers of the Asian Race."

I love my skin. I love my skin.

I was in an elevator once when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "How do you keep your tan so even all the time?"

I internally gawked at her, but just smiled and said, "Oh! I have a year round membership to Jamaica-Me Tan!" and walked out.

It's just me, that's who I am. Changing with the seasons. Really hairy. Short. Curvy. and Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there,
Before you leave a comment, just remember two things:
1. You are taking responsibility for a public comment
2. Anything that resembles racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, or anything based from religion, citizenship, or ethnic bias - don't bother commenting, you'll be deleted.