Friday, April 20, 2007

Feminism Anymore

This is a poem I wrote in reaction to Listen Up! Voices from the Next Generation of Feminists.

My Feminism anymore is not about knowing
that when I walking into a room my body belongs to me
and
my choice,
my sexual choices
are a reflection of my dreams and my desires,
not just a flaunt
of a carefree
sexolution

My Feminism anymore is not demanding.
If you demand something, it still has a connotation
(and a degradation)
that something must be handed over
But it was never theirs
to begin with

No, My Feminism anymore means I Expect it.
All of it.
My raised eyebrows say, "Oh, you haven't heard?"
The revolution is here,
today,
in this conversation,
existing,
between us.
I'm not lofty.
You're just behind.

1 comment:

  1. my womb, ovaries, breasts, vagina, and all my other female body parts, along with my mind, heart, soul, and personality parts, appreciates this. Being a woman is a complicated luxury/burden/joy in this life of ours. I say this despite having been woken up in the middle of the night with menstrual cramps.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Before you leave a comment, just remember two things:
1. You are taking responsibility for a public comment
2. Anything that resembles racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, or anything based from religion, citizenship, or ethnic bias - don't bother commenting, you'll be deleted.