Thursday, September 14, 2006

They Getcha Burnin'

If there's one thing that gets me fired up, it's cliches. I absolutely cannot stand them. It's that simple. My sister and I just had our morning commute talk about annoying terms and phrases. The spine-tingling verbiage can be enough to drive a sane person crazy. I once sat and made a list of the most frequently heard cliches. I had quite a lengthy list:

"If I could just piggyback on that point and add my own..."

"It's a herculean-sized effort, but I think we can pull it off..."

"It's more of a pilot project, if you will, that we project to be done..."

"I'm saying this just to put it on your radar..."

"Well, I thought that was your stock and trade..."

"Here, we make sure we to cross our T's and dot our I's..."

"The shock value is astronaumical, really..."

"It's the natural ebb and flow..."

"I'll run my eyes over the document and tweak it a bit..."

"It was really her brainchild, so she should take the lead on it..."

"Oh! Those are my old stomping grounds..."

"His leadership skills really provided the backbone we needed..."

"Let's put our heads together and see if we can come up with it..."

"We'll talk about that offline..."

"It's really a bending of the ear kind of thing..."

"What a challenge it is to format something so it looks like a different animal than our previous efforts..."

There's just so darn many that I don't think I can label this list as exhaustive, so there shall be a They Getcha Burnin' Part II. Send me any others you've heard.

1 comment:

  1. you forgot about that one...
    "Well, let's roll up our sleeves and get dirty with this one."

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Before you leave a comment, just remember two things:
1. You are taking responsibility for a public comment
2. Anything that resembles racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, or anything based from religion, citizenship, or ethnic bias - don't bother commenting, you'll be deleted.